You finally did it. After debating whether or not to get dental implants in Houston, you decided to move forward with the process. Now you can enjoy a beautiful, healthy, and fully functioning smile once again! While they’re an excellent solution for missing teeth, there are still some precautions you should take when it comes to your diet. Read on to learn which foods you can indulge in with your newly rebuilt grin and a few tips to keep it in its very best shape.
Which Summer Foods Can You Enjoy with Implants?
Dental implants are considered the gold standard of tooth replacement – and for good reason. Because of their unique placement inside the jawbone, you don’t have to worry about them slipping or sliding around like you would with dentures. Once fully healed, implants will restore up to 75% of your original chewing capacity. For that reason, there’s hardly any off-limits food!
As long as you make a few adjustments, you can comfortably enjoy the following:
- Corn on the Cob – You can find this at every summer barbeque! While it’s certainly tasty, make sure you remove the cob and only eat the kernels if you have implants. That way, you can avoid getting kernels stuck between your teeth and implants.
- Fresh Fruits – Any fruit is better than the usual desserts like cookies, cake, and pie. You can freely enjoy nutritious options like watermelon, strawberries, and melon with dental implants!
- Vegetables – Grilled veggies are a must at every cookout. You can easily throw some sliced zucchini or squash on the grill for a healthy treat. It will taste great and be easy on your smile!
Tips for Eating with Dental Implants
Once you get dental implants, you’re going to want to keep your smile as strong as possible for years to come. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Carefully chew hard foods to avoid breaking your restoration (i.e., nuts, ice, popcorn kernels)
- Lower your sugar intake and fill your diet with nutrient-rich foods instead (i.e., whole grains, fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, dairy products)
- Practice good oral hygiene (i.e., brush twice a day, floss daily, rinse your mouth every day with an ADA-approved mouthwash)
- Visit your dentist every six months for a checkup and cleaning
Are you happy with your new smile? While it can be hard to adjust to eating with dental implants, you can easily enjoy all your favorite summer foods once again by following the tips outlined above!
About the Practice
At Tamborello Dental Associates, we strive to provide patients of all ages with the high-quality, personalized, compassionate dental care they deserve. Our team always goes the extra mile to help everyone achieve and maintain their very best smile. If you have any questions about eating with dental implants, don’t hesitate to ask. You can make an appointment via our website or call (713) 522-7540.