You clean your car and your house, you wash your clothes, you work on your yard. Everything requires maintenance in order to function optimally. Your Invisalign aligners are no different. Keeping them clean is not difficult to do, but it helps to identify the method that works best for you.
Read on to discover cleaning tips, as well as approved scrubbing methods, when it comes to caring for Invisalign.
What are Important Tips for Cleaning Invisalign?
It is important to clean your Invisalign trays because you don’t want bacteria to build up on them. Here are tips to incorporate:
- Create a morning hygiene routine. Take out your aligners when you wake up and give them, as well as your teeth, a good brushing. Repeat this process before bed each night.
- Rinse your aligners when you remove them. When you take out your aligners to eat and drink, it’s a good idea to rinse them before putting them back in to keep saliva and plaque buildup to a minimum.
- Soak your aligners at least once daily. Buy some Invisalign cleaning crystals and follow the directions on the package. After soaking, give them a brushing and then a rinsing.
- Don’t eat or drink with your aligners. Colorful drinks and foods could stain them. Plus, Invisalign wasn’t created for chewing. Stick to drinking water unless you take your aligners out.
- Don’t leave your aligners out in the open air. Invest in a case for storage. If you accidentally leave them out, give your aligners a good rinsing before wearing them again.
What Cleaning Agents Can You Use for Scrubbing Invisalign?
When it comes to scrubbing your aligners, you have several options to choose from:
- Invisalign crystals: This is the best option because they are made to do the job without scratching or discoloring your Invisalign. The soaking when a packet is mixed with warm water takes about 15 minutes.
- Hydrogen peroxide: At low concentrations – in this case, mixed with warm water, hydrogen peroxide is a great choice for removing stains from Invisalign. The process takes about 35 minutes.
- Baking soda: It does an excellent job of combating bacteria when a tablespoon is mixed with warm water. The soaking takes at least 30 minutes.
- Distilled white vinegar: Be sure that you are using only white vinegar and the solution should be 75 percent water. Submerge your aligners in the mixture for about 15 minutes.
- Antibacterial soap: Make sure the soap is clear and not scented. Either soak in a solution mixed with warm water or apply the soap directly to the aligners.
Aligners work hard for your smile, so putting in a little work regarding cleaning Invisalign is a fair tradeoff. Dirty aligners can lead to tooth decay and stains, but these cleaning methods can remove discoloration and keep your Invisalign looking and smelling great!
About the Practice
At Tamborello Dental Associates, our on-going investments in the latest dental technology allow us to improve our quality of service while making your visits safer and faster. We are proud to offer Invisalign as an alternative to conventional metal braces. Our team provides custom-designed aligners to represent the different stages of your smile’s transformation. To schedule your first consultation or to learn about our other dental services, visit our website or call (713) 522-7540.