If you’re in need of dental implants in Houston, you first have to find the right dentist to perform the procedure. That’s because dental implantation requires several complicated steps to be performed correctly and safely. How should you go about determining which dentist is best suited to meet your needs? Continue reading to find out.
What’s Involved in the Dental Implant Process
Successful dental implantation requires methodical and careful planning and execution. The good news is that the procedure has a 95% success rate. Still, it’s important to work with a dentist who is thorough in each aspect of care – from the initial assessment, to the placement of the restoration.
The procedure starts with the dentist placing a titanium post into the jawbone. After you’ve healed, an anchoring abutment is added (which is also made of titanium). This will allow the final restoration to be securely attached to avoid the shifting and sliding that is common with above-gum tooth replacement options.
What to Consider When Looking for a Dentist
Consider the following areas during your search:
- Special credentials – All dentists complete a rigorous educational process to earn the right to practice dentistry. However, to become a specialist in any area typically requires two to three years of additional training.
- Experience – You don’t want to be the first patient to receive a dental implant from the dentist. Make sure he or she has experience performing the procedure and working with patients of different dental health backgrounds.
- Positive reviews – There’s nothing like hearing from the patients themselves. You can usually find online reviews, whether on Google, Yelp or Facebook, that allow you to get an idea of what to expect from the dentist.
- Willingness to answer questions – Dental implantation isn’t something that you can just jump into. Thus, the dentist you’re considering should be patient and willing to answer any questions you may have about the procedure to provide the assurance you need.
- Your intuition – When visiting a dentist, pay attention to your intuition. If you’re feeling apprehensive about the dentist, staff or facility, don’t feel pressured to proceed. You can always consider another specialist for placing your dental implants.
Instead of spending your time merely speculating, put what you’ve learned about how to find the best implant dentist to work. It starts by scheduling a visit. In addition to being able to determine whether the dentist meets your criteria, you’ll learn more about the dental implant process. By acting sooner, you can avoid enduring bone loss and get on the road to achieving a fully restored and attractive smile!
About the Author
Dr. Holly Boone earned her dental degree from the University of Florida College of Dentistry. Specializing in dental implantation, she has earned Fellowship status in the International Dental Implant Association, and she maintains membership in the International Congress of Oral Implantologists. With over a decade of experience in dentistry, Dr. Boone is thrilled to help patients recover the lives they once had by placing dental implants at Tamborello Dental Associates. She can be reached for more information through the practice’s website.