It is no secret that leaving home during the COVID-19 pandemic has been nerve wracking. This is the case even if you are only going out to get essential items like groceries and your medical prescriptions. Even though it is great that you’re staying home as much as you can, skipping your dental appointments isn’t the best idea, even with today’s current events. Read on to learn why you shouldn’t delay your appointments with your dentist in River Oaks.
Skipping Dental Appointments Can Harm Your Overall Health
When you go to the dentist, you generally are focused on the health of your smile, but did you know that your oral health has a huge influence on your overall wellbeing? Because your mouth is the entrance and gateway to your body, if you have an issue there, it’s more likely that you are suffering somewhere else in the body. In fact, gum disease is often linked to other serious problems like heart disease, osteoporosis, diabetes, and respiratory disease. Also, if your immune system is busy fighting off an infection in your mouth, you will be more likely to get sick from other illnesses or develop other infections in the body. By addressing your mouth at the dentist, you are keeping the rest of your body safe from disease.
Your Dental Office Has Always Been a Safe Place
Dentists and other health professionals are required to follow a strict set of safety protocol in order to keep their office safe and their patients protected. Here are just a few things that your dentist always keeps in mind when running their practice:
- Personal Hygiene: Everyone working in the dental office is required to wash their hands frequently throughout the day to limit the potential spread of illnesses between themselves and other people in the office.
- Sanitation: The dental instruments that are used to clean your teeth are sterilized after each patient through the use of a machine called an autoclave. Surfaces throughout the practice are also always disinfected on a regular basis.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): The clinical team always wears PPE when caring for their patients. This includes surgical masks, disposable gloves, and anything else the team deems necessary.
Your Dentist’s Office Is Even Safer Now
In addition to the strict guidelines dental offices are required to follow, your dentist is taking even more precautions to protect their patients. Here are just a few:
- Virtual Waiting Room: When you arrive for your appointment, you can now check in from your car. Just call the office staff to let them know that you are there. They will alert you when the treatment room is ready.
- Sequenced Patient Scheduling: Appointments have been spaced out further apart than usual to allow for extra cleaning. This also reduces the likelihood of unnecessary contact between patients.
- Patient Pre-Screening: All patients are asked to complete a health questionnaire and no-touch temperature check when they come to the office.
- Additional PPE: Your dentist will be wearing even more PPE than usual. This includes a face shield and protective clothing.
Your dentist is doing everything in their power to make their practice as safe as possible. This way, you can go to your appointment with peace of mind.
About the Author
Dr. Donald F. Tamborello has been offering high-quality dental care at his practice in Houston, TX for 32 years. He earned his dental degree from the University of Texas and is a Master of the Academy of General Dentistry, which is the highest honor available from the organization. Dr. Tamborello and his team are taking 19 additional steps to keep patients as safe as possible during the COVID-19 pandemic. For more information or to schedule an appointment, visit his website or call (713) 522-7540.