There are lots of smart ways to make better use of your money. Skipping visits to your dentist in Montrose isn’t one of them. The price you pay in terms of discomfort, health risks, and emergency care far outweigh any short-term savings. You’ll come out ahead if you make regular dental care a part of your life.
The Risks of Avoiding Routine Dentist Visits
Here’s why taking chances with your teeth and gums can lead to big trouble:
- While brushing and flossing are important habits, by themselves they’re just not enough. Your teeth need regular professional cleanings by a dental hygienist.
- Many oral health issues require a dentist’s diagnosis. Examples include mouth and tongue cancer as well as many types of infections, such as thrush. Even bad breath can be a warning sign of serious complications.
- Waiting until you have a toothache means of the tooth is already damaged. This means the dentist will have to perform a filling, root canal, or extraction. Plus, you’ll probably suffer ongoing discomfort during the healing process.
- Toothaches have a way of showing up at the least convenient times, such as during weekends and holidays. You’ll have to rearrange your life to receive emergency care, not to mention the added cost that often comes with short-term treatment.
The best way to deal with these problems is to prevent them from occurring in the first place. Plus, you’ll enjoy added benefits when you see your dentist on a regular basis.
The Advantages of Routine Dental Care
- An ongoing record of your dental health profile. This information can make a huge difference in your prognosis, should you develop a serious condition.
- A cordial relationship with the people at the office. Being on familiar terms with your healthcare providers can make your appointments not only more productive but more enjoyable as well. Plus, this is a great way to set a good example for other members of your family, when they see you taking good care of your teeth and gums.
- Personal satisfaction and peace of mind. Staying on top of your healthcare mean one less thing to worry about, both now and in the future. That’s the kind of benefit that money alone can never buy.
Here’s what you can expect during a routine dental visit:
- A close inspection of your teeth and gums. Your dentist will not only apprise your overall oral health, he or she will look for telltale warning signs, such as white spots that indicate a cavity is forming.
- A thorough cleaning that will remove built up tartar before it can cause infections.
- In many cases, an X-ray examination to detect problems that are invisible to the naked eye.
- Helpful tips on keeping your teeth and gums in great shape.
The office manager will update your records, schedule your next appointment, and answer any questions you may have. The process is convenient and comfortable.
A healthy body is the foundation of a happy, fulfilling life. So see your dentist on a regular basis. In the years to come, you’ll look back and smile on the smart decisions you make today.
About the Author
Dr. Donald Tamborello has been practicing dentistry here in Houston for 32 years. He and his team stand ready to assist you with your dental health needs. You can reach his office online or by calling (713) 522-7540.