Once you found out that February is National Gum Disease Awareness Month and learned how preventive dentistry can help to fight it, you knew it was time to find a local professional to provide oral care for you and your family. But what criteria should you use in your search? A dentist of Houston has answers for your queries so that you can feel confident that your entire family can benefit from a plethora of and receive the best care possible.
What Services Will the Right Practice Offer?
The dental practice you choose to work with should offer an array of services so that any of the oral needs of you and your family can be met under one roof. Be on the lookout for the following:
- Preventive Dentistry – One of the pillars of excellent oral health is the semi-annual visit for a cleaning and checkup. It leaves you with a spotless mouth, teeth and gums and allows your dentist to protect you from maladies like tooth decay, gum disease and tooth loss.
- Restorative Dentistry – If you’re suffering from some form of tooth decay or damage, the dentist you choose should be able to restore your normal function.
- Cosmetic Dentistry – Having a beautiful smile is important to you, so when you’re ready to make improvements, the dental practice you work with should be able to deliver with an array of cosmetic dentistry options.
- Orthodontics – Not only will orthodontics allow you to improve your smile with straight teeth, it will also provide a means to experience excellent oral function.
- Dental Implants – When you have missing teeth, you are forced to make lifestyle changes and endure a loss in self-esteem. Furthermore, you run the risk of bone degeneration. An excellent remedy is dental implants.
- Sedation Dentistry – It’s important to know that the dentist you choose has options for you and your family if either of you suffers from anxiety or phobia about having a procedure done.
- Emergency Dentistry – Emergencies will happen, so be sure that the practice you choose offers some form of emergency dentistry and has steps for you to take to get relief outside of office hours.
- Sleep Apnea – When you don’t get adequate sleep, you can’t function properly. That’s why the right dentist will offer effective solutions with sleep apnea treatment.
Other Traits the Right Practice Will Possess
Here are some other intangibles that you should look for in your new dentist:
- Can care for the whole family – It’s quite important for your dentist to have the versatility to care for your entire family. The last thing you want to have to do is drive around town to get everyone to their appointments.
- Comfortable environment – In order for your whole family to feel comfortable, the environment should be warm and inviting.
- Attentive nature – The professional you work with should also be patient, attentive and eager to answer any of your questions.
- Experience – Experience matters. You want to trust the care of your family to a professional that has dealt with a myriad of problems and has delivered effective solutions.
Now is a great time to get your family on track with their dental health. Just reach out to your local professional to make an initial appointment and honor your gums this month by keeping them healthy.
About the Author
Dr. Donald F. Tamborello received his undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University and went on to earn his dental degree from the University of Texas. A Master of the Academy of General Dentistry, Dr. Tamborello practices at Tamborello & Bowen Cosmetic Dentistry and can be reached for more information through his website.